A Sampling of Past Items of Interest
19th Century, papier mache, cup, saucer and lid
This cup, saucer and lid came with a letter of provenance from the family of an officer who served in the 2nd Afghan War (1878-1880). Following a skirmish, this and other items were found in the tent of the Afghan leader, their camp having been vacated.
Large, leather map or document bag from HMY (His Majesty's Yacht) Philante
The Philante was built in England in 1937 for the British aircraft manufacturer, Thomas Sopwith. At the time it was one of the largest vessels of its kind, and Sopwith used the yacht as a base when competing in regattas. In fact, the Philante first entered Norwegian waters in 1938 in connection with a regatta at Hankø in Eastern Norway.
After the outbreak of WWII, the British Royal Navy requisitioned the Philante, first using it as an escort vessel for convoys crossing the Atlantic. It was then put into service as a school ship for training convoy escorts in 1942. The ship was returned to Thomas Sopwith in 1946 and sold to Norway the following year, where it was completely re-furbished.
On 9 June, 1948 the ship’s captain, Commander Christian Monsen, raised the command pennant for the first time, and the Royal Yacht was handed over to King Haakon. The ship was re-christened, The Norge.
A small lamp with an even smaller lighting aperture. By holding an egg against the light, the contents can be seen in relief, so the viewer can determine whether or not the egg has been fertilized.
Small Collection of Original, Early 20th Century, Advertising Signs for Vero & Everitt's Tropical Helmets
These were discovered unused, immaculate, and in their original tissue-paper wrappings.
C.1980's: Huge, Harrods', shop window advertising poster
The trader from which this item was bought, was given a collection of these display posters from a window dresser at Harrods' in the 1980s. Needless to say, this poster was a very impressive size.
Fabric from the City of York's Mansion House
This is just a sample of the silk damask curtains obtained from the Lord Mayor's and Sheriff's personal quarters within the City of York's Mansion House. Heraldic imagery within a Puginesque design.